Craving chocolate? With Easter just around the corner, we don’t blame you at all. And if you saw our recent post – a mug-based recipe from chef Theo Michaels – you’ll probably be itching to know what else you can whip up in a humble cup.
Well, here’s a dessert to accompany the savoury treat you cooked up with the help of My Appliances just a few days ago. It’s Theo’s chocolate orange microwave mug cake – and it’s absolutely delicious. Tuck in!
Theo says: “There is nothing quite like a good chocolate cake and this one offers a little something extra. I’m not normally a fan of chocolate orange but I like the use of marmalade which gives a subtle depth of flavour that isn’t overpowering, while the ground almonds keep the cake nice and moist.”
- 300ml/½ pint mug
- A small egg
- Two tbsp vegetable oil
- Three tbsp milk
- One tbsp orange zest
- Good pinch of salt
- Two tbsp marmalade
- Two tbsp plain/all-purpose flour
- One tbsp ground almonds
- One tbsp caster/superfine sugar
- Three tbsp cocoa powder
- Half a tsp baking powder
- 10g dark chocolate (85% cocoa solids), broken up into small
- Whipped cream, to serve (optional)
- Place the egg, oil, milk, orange zest, salt and marmalade in the mug and whisk with a fork until
- fully combined
- Add the rest of the ingredients and combine thoroughly
- Microwave uncovered on full power for 1½ minutes and leave to stand for two minutes
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream if you like!